[Recipe] Sugar & Dairy Free Chocolate Avocado Pudding



One of the latest diet 'trend' that has caught my attention is the Paleo(lithic) Diet, or the 'Caveman' Diet.  
I know what you're saying "uh oh, here comes the organic mambo jambo." 
I won't say much about it because I have yet, and probably will not, adhere to it completely because it eliminates all sort of carbohydrate, including rice-- us Indonesians' staple food-- and relies on protein which can be expensive for three meals a day.

The Paleo diet basically adopts our ancestors' early habit of obtaining food, from foraging and hunting which naturally produce fruits, vegetables, ALL kinds (and I mean all, including the fat!) of animal produce, and strictly bans agricultural produce like wheat, sugar, rice, all starchy food, and dairy products. (For a full list, check out this Paleo Food Guide)

To be honest, for me this is the most sane diet 'trend' out there. It is just plain simple, straightforward, and very, very, logical. It is based upon the fundamental concept that the optimal diet is the one to which we are genetically adapted. True our ancestors died rather quick in the paleo era, but they were also said to have the best bone structure and, actually most happy!. Paleo diet also relies on the most basic thing in human nutrition: balance. To consume adequate ratio of fat, fibre, and protein, and to stay a world away all the trans fat, refined sugar, sugar that have been the biggest cause for most degenerative diseases of the 21st century like diabetes, obesity, to cancer.  

 Like I said, I am not yet ready to apply it 3 times a day, but I'd like to try slow, starting with this rendition of Chocolate Avocado Pudding, adopted from The Iron You blog. I modified a little bit to use up available ingredients I had with me. The original recipe asked for chia, but I omitted it because I prefer to use my Chia for puddings. 



Sugar & Dairy Free Chocolate Avocado Pudding

Ingredients: 
  • 2 Ripe Avocados (mine were a little bit unripe, but it worked out okay) 
  • 1/3 cup or 115 gr raw organic honey (Please don't skimp on your honey!! A good quality honey goes a looong way!) 
  • 1/3 cup or 40 gr cocoa powder 
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil or coldpressed coconut oil. 
  • 1 Tbsp of coconut cream/milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional) 
Optional toppings you can use: 
  • sliced fruit (kiwi, strawberries, mangoes, anything you think would go great with chocolate!) 
  • Chopped nuts (I used pistachio) 
  • Chia seeds 
  • Goji berries
  • Greek Yoghurt 
  • etc 

Directions: 
  1. In your blender, scoop all the avocadoes in, followed by all the liquids (honey, coconut oil and cream) and the rest of the ingredients. It is important to start with the softer and liquid ingredients on the bottom. 
  2. You might need to pulse your blender and probe with a spoon because the mixture will get really thick and gooey.
  3. Transfer the mixture to cups or ramekins, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving 
  4. Sprinkle with your topping of choice. 


Comments

Popular Posts