Bihun Bebek 'Medan Suki', Pluit, Jakarta

Muara Karang/Pluit has always been such an amazing area to explore for me. It's almost an uncharted territory, even, for my whole life being spent in Jakarta. So when I do go there, I'm always usually lost, or wanting too try every single food stall I see. Either way, it's always exciting!

Because if you really want to have a taste of good food, Chinese food especially, this is where to go in Jakarta. Generally because this is where many of the Indonesian-chinese live. And they really know good food! And also because it's near the port and Jakarta's main fish market, so fresh seafood is most accessible in this part of Jakarta. (Although Jakarta's seafood is really, really questionable in general, due to the heavily polluted sea water) 

Because I'm a noob in Muara Karang, me and two my friends just random-picked a food stall in the area's main road: Bihun Bebek Medan Suki. 

Bihun Bebek

As the name represents, this shop's main dish is Bihun Bebek or glass noodle with duck meat. I've never tried this before, and that's part of the reason why we picked this place. This is just a wild guess (that I take because it's on the name :p) but I think this dish originates from the medan-chinese people that kindly brought their comfort food when they come to Jakarta. Other than the Bihun Bebek, they also serve Mie Karet ('rubber' noodle) and Swikiau (dumpling soup).


Interior, Bihun Bebek Medan Suki

Served in typical red melamine bowls, what I quickly found interesting was the pair of stainless steel chopsticks that we were provided with. Something I'v never encountered before out of Korean restaurants. (at least in Jakarta!) Our bihun (glass noodle) seemed to be a little bit chewier and larger than what I usually use and get from the grocery store. On top of this noodle sits several cuts of very nicely roasted duck meat. The broth is very herby that goes well with the gamey duck, yet light enough as to not overpower the whole dish. It reminds me a little of the herby chicken soup sometimes Chinese restaurants put in their menu. On top of it all, some lettuce and coriander sprigs, which adds a nice texture and flavour. And I did put some cut chillies to my bihun because I wanted to have a little bit of a kick. 

For drinks I ordered a very refreshing Jus Markisa (Passion Fruit Drink), which kind of resembled a smoothie just a tad. It is obviously not fresh passion fruit, but instead used the thick Passion Fruit or Markisa syrup that Medan has long been famous for. 

Bihun Bebek, Rp. 27.000 and Jus Markisa 

From all the blogwalking I did, there are quite the types of Bihun Bebek out there (at least in Jakarta), and this one is particular is a good one to start from. :) I would definitely try it again and eat it regularly. Just if only I don't have to drive all the way across town for it! 


Bihun Bebek Medan Suki 
Jl. Muara Karang Raya Blok C5 No. 37
Pluit, North Jakarta

Comments

Popular Posts