The First Mangga Besar Encounter


 Yesterday afternoon, me and some friends decided to meet up and (for me, personally) to finally face the challenge of reaching the renowned Sate Domba Afrika by the Museum Textile of Jakarta. 

A few years ago, I have tried try to look for the--now seem-- mythical domba meat join, and miserably failed. My undisputedly low level of experience and knowledge of that certain part of town had me giving up so easily the first time I got stuck in Petamburan area.

By the time it was no longer logical to be referred to as lunch time, I was still beating in the bush of where I was even at. Added with people's note of "don't go there after 1 p.m, usually they're out already", I submit to my limp Central-Jakarta-savvy-ness and retreated. 

So yesteday, when Ester told us we should meet up and try it out, I was psyched and drooling a little.  I have tried the knock-off brand Domba Afrika in some forgetable mall not long after i failed even reaching the place, and even that was really good. 
So from that point on, I vow to try the real Domba at least once, WITH SOMEONE THAT HAS ACTUALLY BEEN THERE. (Check) 

Much to my conclusion that my fate with theDomba place is probably cursed, they are apparently closed on sundays.  I was already in stuck behind what seemed to look like an endless supply of mikrolets in front of Tanah Abang train station, when the girls (including Ester) told me the news.  (I should give a tremendous thumbs up to apple devices' GPS, without which I would never reach that train station--Despite the inevitable stale ending of my Tanah Abang adventure.)

Tania advised we should shift our culinary adventure somewhere else close, like Kota. *shudder* I'm sorry I can't help but shudder a little.  It still sounds so far, despite having spent most of my childhood a few neighborhoods away. 

So we headed to Mangga Besar, to be exact.  Another alien terrain for me, Mangga Besar is an inherent part of kota that actually still passes for Central Jakarta.
Putri had to make sure it's (semi) street food restaurants that we try out. 
So Tania, being the 'local' of kota amongst us (judged by the proximity of where she lives, generally) advised a Bakmi Kepiting on a particular intersection. 
The Bakmi Kepiting is side by side with a Kwetiaw Place, named Kwetiaw Perempatan Mangga Besar. 
We sit in the Kwetiaw place instead because it looks roomier and Tania said we could just order from next door and eat it together there. 
This is what I call semi street food, where it just basically feels like eating in someone's garage. No AC, no frills, chairs, table and you (most of the time) can see your food being prepared. 

So here's the Bakmi Kepiting :

Bakmi Kepiting Mangga Besar

For 22.000 you get the 'biasa' version, which means not so much crab meat on top. 
I got the 'special' one, for 33.000, gives you a pretty good chunks of crab meat. (although not THAT much of a significant difference)
This was good, if you do like crab, and sea produce.  Noodles were thinner than usual, good portioned, and not your usual side street noodles (obviously), broth was mediocre. 
A little disappointed with this one, or maybe I'm essentially not into Bakmi Kepiting in general. 
I give it 7 out of 10 for noodles. 
Because they made me have it 'to go', just because I eat it next door.(why don't you guys get along really?)
and because they only gave us two pockets of the plain spicy orange chili sauces, while I did need more kecap asin, and a great dollop of pickles they did not come with (that I ended up stole from the kwetiaw place). 

I also ordered a portion of kwetiaw goreng sapi to go for my dad. 
Sorry no photo was taken of this :| 
It was really good actually. Despite being really dark in color, it wasn't as sweet as my Jawa tongue is used to, but I still liked it. 
Good amount of meat chunks and some other parts like babat and kikil, (tripe, etc) so if you're still pink and squeamish to the dark side of Indonesian food, you wouldn't be a big fan of it. Though I'm sure you can make a request to the cook cooking your kwetiaw. 

8 out of 10 for the kwetiaw Mangga Besar 
I'll try take more pictures next time. :) 

Cheers!  

Comments

Popular Posts